Wheatbelt South National Events
Important Australian or Globally Famous events that occur around Wheatbelt South Western Australia and you are invited.
As a Wheatbelt South resident or visitor, you can take part in several annual events that hold significance locally and nationally. Whether you're a history buff, nature enthusiast, or music lover, there's something for everyone.
1. Wave Rock Weekender: This is a music festival that runs from Friday to Sunday in September. The festival takes place at Wave Rock, a natural rock formation situated in Hyden. The festival has a reputation for being family-friendly, with camping facilities available at the site. You can expect a mix of music genres, including blues, rock, indie, and folk.
2. Avon Descent: This is the world's largest white-water race, held annually in August. The event takes place on the Avon River, stretching from Northam to Perth. The race attracts amateur and professional paddlers from all over the world, open to individuals and teams. It's a two-day paddling event where participants have to navigate through rapids and obstacles.
3. York Olive Festival: The festival celebrates the town's olive-growing heritage and the harvest season. The event takes place in early October, attracting farmers, chefs, foodies, and olive enthusiasts. The festival features stalls selling local and regional produce, cooking demonstrations, live music, and olive tastings.
4. Wheatbelt Agricultural Show: The Wheatbelt South region is known for its agricultural industry. The Wheatbelt Agricultural Show is an annual event that celebrates this tradition, usually held in early October. The event brings together farmers, breeders, and local businesses to showcase their products, services, and livestock. It's an excellent opportunity to experience the rural lifestyle of the region as there are exhibits, competitions, and children's entertainment.
5. Moondyne Festival: This festival celebrates the legend of Moondyne Joe, a bushranger who roamed the region in the late 1800s. The event takes place in Toodyay, a town northeast of Perth. It's usually held in May and features historical reenactments, market stalls, live entertainment, and local food and wine.
6. Goomalling Country Music Festival: This festival is a celebration of Australian country music. The event takes place in Goomalling, a town east of Perth, and usually held in October. It's a family-friendly festival, featuring local and national country music acts, food stalls, camping, and children's entertainment.
7. Dowerin Field Day: This is a two-day event usually held in late August, showcasing the latest technologies and innovations in agriculture. The event takes place in Dowerin, a town northeast of Perth and attracts farmers, industry experts, and businesses from all over the state. There are live demonstrations, seminars, and product launches. It's a great opportunity to network with others in the industry and learn about the latest farming technologies.
Wheatbelt South is home to several annual events that celebrate the region's natural and cultural heritage. Whether you're interested in music, nature, or agriculture, there's something for everyone. These events attract visitors from all over the world, making them an excellent opportunity to experience the local culture and traditions.